Monday, September 2, 2013

Life in Hancock, Maryland. Population 1,500 give or take a few...

Hello Friends!
Wow. Already a week in Maryland! Time sure flies by fast out here. I have been struggling quite a bit, as I fell ill the day before I left for the MTC. I have had to spend a few hours a day sleeping instead of doing the work, and man can I tell you, you feel worse waking up realizing you could have been saving someone's soul. hahaha BUT my companion keeps reminding me that a dead, coughing zombie is not going to convert anyone, so I continue to do what I can and try to recover.
I'm serving in a little town called Hancock, Maryland. The people are so loving and kind, and I am truly starting to love them. Thursday we stopped and chatted with a mother an daughter that live in Pennsylvania. (We are literally 10 minutes away from Penn. and 15 away from West Virginia) Anyways, Molly and Jules are Less Active members that have been away from the church for almost 20 years. We had a nice chat with them and really got Molly to open up to us! They invited us back for dinner, which is a HUGE step in the right direction for them, and we are so excited to see where it goes.
We also had dinner with the Ward family Sunday night. They are an older couple that live on a farm with 400+ Black Angus Cows. Now, as Billy would tell you, these aren't just any cows. They are AWARD WINNING! When we got there Billy was walking out with a cloth wrapped about his hand, and we could tell he was bleeding pretty good. He had cut his hand with a knife and we thought he was just going to get a bandage for it so we went inside. Low and behold he walks in with a plastic glove on the open wound and called it good! It was hilarious to see Sister Boman freaking out about it and trying to convince him to bandage it up.  We ate the hamburgers and to tell you the truth, it's not ALL about the meat, kids. Sure, the award winning cow I ate was great. BUT. Not as good as my Dad's hamburgers but that is my opnion. I'm going to go ahead and say it's all in the preparation. ;)  The Ward family was so kind!
Well, my companion is Sister Boman, and she is seriously an angel sent from on high. This last week has been hard for us because we are trying to walk the fine line between doing the work and letting my body recuperate from being sick. Missions are hard kids, real hard. If you are reading this, before you decide to serve, really think about what you will be doing. A mission is one of the hardest things I have done in my life, but I have learned that it doesn't matter whether or not WE have the strength to do the work, because our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have more than enough. We must rely on him and his grace to carry us forward in the work, and let that be enough.
I am forever grateful for the love of my family and friends, and the prayers that are said in my behalf. I can feel them everyday and thank you for sending them my way. PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING. They help me wake up everyday and press forward in the work.
I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU ALL.
Sister Morris

Spiritual Thought:
"Sometimes life's moments are about seeing how hard you can get hit, and yet still remain standing."

Funny moment:
Sister Boman (to an investigator): "Read right above where it says, "Alfalfa and Omega."
Me: "RIIIGGGHHHHTTTTTT. Wait....did you just say Alfalfa?"



Hancock is 131 miles north/west of Baltimore, takes 2 1/2 hours to drive there from Baltimore.

No comments:

Post a Comment